For my space analysis paper I chose Central Market as my public space. Central Market is an Organic Food store and it is appealing to me because it wasn't just any grocery store but it is an organic food store. I always wondered what made these organic food stores so appealing. Why would someone prefer to purchase organic food opposed to non-organic food?
Upon observation I hope to find a specific audience that this space targets. As a matter of fact I'm not even sure this space targets myself. I am glad that going into this assignment I do not know the targeted audience from the top of my head because it makes this space just that much interesting. As an economics student I also hope to pay close attention to difference in prices and the goods frequently bought. Also, how are these goods advertised? How is this space set up to advertise these goods or is it set up to target a certain audience.
I love the idea of not knowing much about this space because then I can go in with an open mind and with a mind ready to observe not judge. Their is a huge difference between the two and I do not want my judging to become an obstacle. One perceived idea that I have about the place is that prices are high and that therefore a certain audience or class in society might be targeted. This is something I have only heard from a friend so as far as it being an idea I don't think so. It is simply something I heard and I've always thought not to believe it until I see it. Point blank, I have never been into a Central Market before so I can not let this be an obstacle going in. This place is new to me and I'm coming in to observe it with a clean slate.
Good choice Karen. I hear a lot about Central Market but am also unfamiliar with it as well. I didn’t know you were studying economics that should add an interesting twist to the paper because depending on if you look at it through macro or micro view could be very interesting. I will definitely keep my eye out for this paper.
ReplyDeleteI like the location, should be a lot of fun looking at the type of people that go to a natural foods store. This is definitely a place that I have preconceived notions of but I'd like to see if they are wrong.
ReplyDeleteInteresting idea! I've never been to Central Market either. I think not being a part of the target crowd and therefore being unbiased will aid you in writing a very good paper. Also, your preconceived notion about Central Market is one that many people hold, so it will be interesting to see if this is true or not!
ReplyDeleteThis is a very interesting place to choose. I would assume Central Market would have a target audience, usually health conscience individuals shop at natural food marts. But it will be interesting to see the types of people you experience.
ReplyDelete