The opinions expressed on this blog do not represent those of Texas Christian University or of its administration.

Thursday, October 7, 2010

Unit 2 Proposal

For Unit 2 my topic will based on the national issue of the DREAM Act. Most importantly my topic will revolve around the event that happened on September 21, 2010 when the Senate failed to pass the DREAM Act. To get a better understanding of this issues I will discuss what the DREAM Act is and who it affects.
The DREAM Act states the right for thousands of undocumented (illegal immigrant) students to gain a 6-yr long path to citizenship. These students would be able to gain there citizenship under certain requirements only. These requirements are as follow:
  • Must have entered the U.S. before the age of 16
  • Must have been present in the U.S. for at least 5 consecutive years prior to the enactment of the bill
  • Must have graduated from a U.S. high school or have obtained a GED, or have been accepted into an institution of higher education
  • Must be between the ages of 12 and 35 at the time of application
  • Must have good moral conduct
The DREAM Act currently affects thousands of illegal students in a college institution and graduates from high school. Varios groups in the U.S. are either for or against this Act. That is why the fact that the Senate did not pass the bill for the second time in history this past September brought about a lot of speculation and arguments. My topic would be based on the arguments that these speculations made regarding this incident.
For my topic I have already found many related sources like articles, blog posting and news interviews (CNN and Fox 4) that responded to the failure to pass the Act. The DREAM Act has it's own website and their are also facebook and myspace pages on the DREAM Act that brought about a lot of responses to this incident.
I chose this topic for two main reasons. It is a very interesting topic and yet a not very known topic to many Americans. Many American still remain oblivious to this topic. Another reason is that I know of close friends here on campus and off that were affected by this topic. Therefore through this paper I myself would like to gain more knowledge of the arguments made about this topic.

2 comments:

  1. This seems like a very interesting topic. I am looking forward to seeing how different media sources have covered the events of this act and to see if there is some bias for illegals or against them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really appreciate how you gave a specific date to structure you paper around. This will give a concise and definite time period in which to base you primary source off of. I think the paper could be very compelling.

    ReplyDelete